Pissed Off Pinups by Stephanie Burrows

Sunday, August 5, 2007

A brief update, plus: Who am I, anyway?

I've gotten a bunch of sketching done this weekend; I'll be posting some of them sometime in the next few days. I'm wondering how may pieces I should put in the book... I'm thinking at least 24 or so, but I'm not sure.

So... who am I? My name is Stephanie Burrows. Like most artists, I began drawing as soon as I could hold a crayon and decided never to stop. I honestly couldn't imagine life without drawing. I also loved drawing cartoons from an early age, too. My dream job when I was in elementary school was to be a character designer with Disney.

I started drawing comics (and taking cartoons more seriously) during the first months of 2001, the latter half of my first year of college. I worked on a couple of webcomics and made a lot of friends in that community. My first real experiences in print were with a couple of group projects produced by my friends at Young American Comics; you can find me in Unseen On TV and The Big Ol' Book of Bizmar. I also designed the website for Punch An' Pie, which is drawn by Chris Daily and written by Aeire, both of whom are my crazy roommates.

I also worked as a caricature artist at the San Diego Zoo from April of 2006 through June of 2007. It was a fun job, and my drawing skills shot through the roof. Now I have an 8 to 5 job with a company that handles tenant screening and criminal background checks for property managers. I'm working on new graphics for their various websites. I've gotten to play around in flash again for one of them, and it's been a blast. I'd forgotten how fun that program is. I might even come up with some extra Pissed Off Pinups material later.

I'd always liked pinup art, mainly vintage and vintage inspired as well as those in a quirky cartoony style. Last year at Comic Con, I ran across Chris Sanders's table, and bought his sketchbook. I was completely taken with how he drew women. Then Chris (Daily) showed me the Dean Yeagle/Morsels (Scott Tolleson, Kristen McCabe, Gary Ham) booth. I think it was at this point that I began drawing pinups while I was still at the convention. I had never even thought about drawing pinups before, and it turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun!

So that's me. Well, more of a shortened version of events leading up to this project. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email at steph.burrows (at) gmail (dot) com.

No comments: